Association created in 1996 in order to formalize the existence of a group of researchers and wallers organizing bi-annual meetings since on 1987. The association is supported by the volunteer participation of interested citizens (craftsmen, researchers, users) that recognize the values of drystone structures.
Since the existence of the group (informal and formal) 17 international conferences on dry stone have been held :
- In 1987 in Bari (Puglia, Italy), as the result of the volonteer work of a group of mediterranean architects fond for dry stone construction.
- In 1990 in Barcelona (Cataluña, Spain), where it was decided to organize meetings every two years.
- In 1992 at Anogia (Crete, Greece), within the framework of the Integrated Mediterranean Programs (IMP).
- In 1994 in Palma (Mallorca, Spain), where the universality of the matter emerged.
- In 1996 at Triora, Ponte Di Nava, Pontedassio (Liguria, Italy), where it was decided to create the International Scientific Society for Interdisciplinary studies of Drystone (SPS: Société scientifique internationale pour l’ étude pluridisciplinaire de la Pierre Séche / Société Pierre Sèche)
- In 1998 at Le Val–Carcés (France), where the International association was officially created with its head office in France (Le Val, Provence)
- In 2000 at Peñiscola (Castelló, Spain)
- In 2002 at Viege / Visp (Valais, Switzerland)
- In 2004 at Mytilini (Lesbos, Greece)
- In 2006 at Montalbán (Aragon, Spain)
- In 2008 at Locorotondo (Puglia, Italy)
- In 2010 at Ambleside (Cumbria, Wales, UK)
- In 2012 at Ogliastra (Sardegna, Italy)
- In 2014 at Al Jadida (Morocco, Africa)
- In 2016 at Argostoli (Cephalonia, Greece)
- In 2018 at Ciutadella in Menorca (Balearic Islands, Spain)
- In 2021 at Konavle (Dubrovnič, Croatia)
The 18th international conference will be held at GOULT (VAUCLUSE, France) in 2023. International construction workshop the week before.